Friday, February 19, 2010

Knicks trades




Quick view on the Knicks trades:

With the moves made at yesterday’s NBA trading deadline, the Knicks have put themselves in a pretty good position to sign Lebron James when he becomes a free agent following the season. In addition, they have freed up enough cap space to sign a second max player, such as Chris Bosh or Dwayne Wade. In order to free up cap space, the Knicks got rid of all their players except four, who had more than the rest of the year remaining on their contracts. The only players the Knicks have under contract for the 2010-2011 season are Eddie Curry, Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas, and Danilo Gallinari. While I am a fan of Chandler and Gallinari, I do not expect Gallinari to ever become a star along the lines of Dirk Nowitski, even with coach Mike D’Antoni calling him the greatest shooter he has ever seen. In an ideal situation, Gallinari would be the first or second guy off the bench. While I appreciate what D’Antoni did with the Suns, and in some respects almost saved basketball, I think his judgment with the Knicks has been questionable. His praise of Gallinari reeks of nepotism, and his influence in the decision to not bring Iverson on for the year because of how he would stunt the growth of the young talent is insane. The only player who Iverson would be in the way of is Toney Douglas, but since TD doesn’t play, what difference does it make. Instead we have to curiously watch PG Chris Duhon play 39 minutes and somehow manage 2 assists and 2 points in a recent game (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=300216004) is a more amazing accomplishment than a New Jersey Nets win.

While I would be thrilled with the signing of Lebron James, I highly doubt that Dwayne Wade or Chris Bosh would come with him. On paper this seems like a possibility, because in make-believe-land, everyone wants nothing more than to win championships. In the NBA, however, I do not think that the superstars really want to share any of their success with another superstar. I don’t think Carmelo Anthony cried when Allen Iverson was shipped out of town for ultimate team-guy Chauncey Billups. To expect that Dwayne Wade or Chris Bosh, who are both before their primes, will sacrifice a chance of basketball immortality to become a Lebron sidekick is ridiculous. And since it is unlikely that a second max guy would come with Lebron to New York, do you really expect Lebron to leave a great team in Cleveland to help a New York team with no draft picks (and 4 players-including Eddie Curry) to rebuild? I understand Lebron is the best player in the NBA, but even he can’t instantly turn the Knicks around. The young nucleus that the Clippers have is a better fit for King James. If the Cavaliers don’t win I expect he’ll re-up for max money in Cleveland who I believe can also still sign Amare Stoudemire this offseason. And if they do win, I expect that he’ll turn his sights on passing Jordan and go for 7. Staying with Cleveland next year will also give Lebron a great opportunity to win 3 straight MVP awards (he’s going to get #2 this year). With the Knicks he may end up eating vasoline like Stephon Marbury

As a Knicks fan, I am already preparing myself for a couple of desperate free agent signings this off-season and am not looking forward to Tracy McGrady and Joe Johnson leading a Lee-less Knicks team into the NBDL. After a brief conversation with Jailbait Jim last night, it is only a matter of time until we become full-fledged OKC Thunder fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment